American Musicological Society (AMS), Music Of The United States Of America (MUSA):
Job ID#: 107053
Deadline: March 16, 2015
The American Musicological Society (AMS) seeks an Executive Editor for MUSA (Music of the United States of America), a national series of scholarly editions funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities, the University of Michigan, and the AMS.
The editor’s primary responsibility is to serve as the principal copyeditor and proofreader of all MUSA volumes.
Other duties include:
- Maintain regular contact with commissioned and prospective volume editors, providing assistance and advice as needed, and ensuring that they complete their work in a timely fashion;
- Assist the Editors-in-Chief in liaising with the AMS Committee on the Publication of American Music (COPAM), volume editors, the series publisher (A-R Editions, Inc.), the AMS, the Society for American Music, and the American Music Institute at the University of Michigan;
- Supervise graduate student assistants in a variety of editorial tasks;
- Maintain and develop the public profile of MUSA, including website, social media, and other forms of publicity and communication;
- Maintain appropriate financial and project records as well as files of correspondence and other documents and materials related to the series, including the project database;
- Assist the COPAM chair to organize the semi-annual meetings of the committee;
- Assist the Editors-in-Chief in preparing applications for project grant funding.
The Executive Editor may have the opportunity to teach one course pertaining to American music per academic year at the University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance, subject to approval by the University, AMS, and MUSA.
Candidate should have advanced training in musicology and extensive knowledge of American music. Specialization in one or more scholarly areas of American music, as evidenced through refereed publications, teaching experience, recordings, and/or other professional activities preferred. Ph.D. or equivalent experience required; professional editorial or publishing experience is beneficial. Salary and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Executive Editor is expected to work on site in the MUSA office at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
This is a term-limited position ending September 30, 2017. Renewal is possible, but dependent upon successful annual performance reviews and sufficient grant funding.
Finalists for the position will be asked to complete an editing examination.
Review of applications will begin March 16, 2015 and continue until the position is filled.
To apply for this position please follow this link (umjobs.org/search?career_interest=&work_location=&position=®ular_temporary=&keyword=107053), or direct your browser to umjobs.org and search keyword (Job ID#) 107053. Please attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a list of references (as one document).
More information about the project is available at the MUSA web site: www.ams-net.org/MUSA/