University of Hull, Research Networking Colloquium:
“Current Trends in Italian Popular Music Studies”
March 18-19 2015 – University of Hull (UK)
Deadline: November 28th 2014
Italian Popular Music Studies in the UK and USA has seen increased interest over recent years, with themed issues of prominent journals Modern Italy and Popular Music in 2008, PhD projects recently completed and ongoing, and colloquia and workshops organised in 2012 and 2014 by Indiana University. This colloquium aims to bring together colleagues from the UK, Italy, the USA, and beyond, to continue the discussions around the place and prominence of popular music studies within the broader discipline of Italian Studies.
Keynote speakers (confirmed):
- Prof. Franco Fabbro, Università degli Studi di Torino
- Dr Goffredo Plastino, University of Newcastle and current Chair of IASPM
We invite proposals in English or Italian for one of two kinds of presentation:
- 300 word proposals for 20 minute research papers on all aspects of Italian popular music
- 150-200 word proposals for 10 minute ‘digest’/’concept’ papers which may focus on particular issues, themes, concerns and/or research problems pertaining to any aspect of Italian popular music
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- What is Italian about Italian Popular Music? Notions of the national, transnational, international
- Popular, popolare, folclorico, folk, successful: interrogating the ‘popular’
- Individual singers, songwriters, performers, groups, bands
- Popular Music histories: recording labels, sales figures, performers, genres
- Popular Music in/on film: the Italian context
- Audience responses and the reception of Italian Popular Music in Italy and beyond
Our primary area of focus is the twentieth century but presentations on earlier time periods are welcomed.
Please send proposals together with a short biographical note (c. 100 words) to the event organiser, Dr. Rachel Haworth (firstname.lastname@example.org) by November 28th 2014.