Department of Music, Central Washington University:
Assistant Professor (Music History – tenure-track)
Position: nine-month faculty position
Screening date: 15.10.2014
Anticipated Start Date: 16.09.2015
The Department of Music at Central Washington University seeks an outstanding teacher of Music History for a tenure-track (assistant professor), nine-month faculty position.
The duties for this position include teaching music history classes for music majors at the undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as related general education classes suited to CWU’s liberal arts mission. The ideal candidate is an individual who is an outstanding teacher, passionate about music history and literature at all academic levels, and enjoys working collaboratively in a department that values teaching excellence, student learning, scholarship, and service to the department, college, university, community, and profession. The teacher-scholar model is paramount at CWU; therefore, teaching, research/creative activity, and service is expected of all department faculty. The successful candidate will be expected to participate fully in the responsibilities of faculty membership, e.g., curriculum development and service activities. We seek candidates with strong written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated potential to contribute effectively to the department, the university, the community, and the profession.
- PhD or related terminal degree with clear specialization in Music History or Historical Musicology. ABD will be considered; however, the terminal degree must be completed by September 16, 2015.
- Documented evidence of or potential for effective, student-focused classroom and online post-secondary teaching in music history and related general education classes.
- Research experience with evidence of publication and/or presentations at professional conferences.
- Experience with or potential for Music History Area curriculum development.
- Teaching experience in one or more of the following areas: Popular Music, World Music, Film Music, Music Appreciation, or other general education-oriented subjects.
- Experience in teaching graduate courses in music history/literature.
- Experience with or potential for leadership in the Music History Area.
- Experience with or demonstrated interest in curriculum development for general education music classes.
- Experience working with a diverse student population and multicultural curriculum.
Full details: jobs.cwu.edu/postings/7451